Who we are
Issues of long term poverty and underdevelopment in Africa especially Nigeria, have continued to assume an alarming increase. Several programmes and projects have been developed over the years in these regards, but they appear not to adequately tackle these issues. The development challenges tend to remain endless and billions of resources sunk into bottomless pits.The reasons for these failures are not farfetched. NGOs and private sector operators have not adequately complemented the efforts of the government.
While there is still a yawning gap in terms of implementing the popular Public and Private Partnerships (PPP) initiative in project design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation which has been known to yield tangible results in facilitating sustainable development and the much needed poverty reduction at the grassroots. It is against this background that Grassroots Community Development Initiative (GRACODEV) was established. Grassroots Community Development Initiative (GRACODEV) is a non-profit and non-governmental organization established to facilitate real sustainable development and ultimately the delivery of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at the grassroots through extensive Public and Private Partnerships (PPP) with the government and a mass of credible international and local development partners (NGOs, CBOs, FBOs, Co-operatives, and Town Unions). Grassroots Community Development Initiative (GRACODEV) is registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC/Reg/27350). It was established in 2000 and started operations in 2001.
Our vision is to see an African Society where the citizenry, especially the marginalized and disadvantaged community groups are empowered to participate actively in issues that will improve their livelihood standards.
Our mission is to facilitate good governance and sustainable development at the grassroots through community-based development planning, service delivery, capacity building, project monitoring, impact assessment and advocacy.
- To carry out Community Social Mobilization of Community Development issues such as Environmental Protection, Health, Water/Sanitation, HIV/AIDS awareness, family hygiene etc
- Facilitate Community Development through Community Development Planning, Participatory Rural Appraisal Processes, Action Research, User Surveys, Projects Monitoring and Impact Assessment.
- To facilitate Economic Empowerment Initiatives for unemployed women and youths at the grassroots.
- To provide care and support for people in difficult situations, including the marginalized and disadvantaged groups.
- To promote gender equality and protect women’s rights in the face of violations, politics and all forms of violence.
- To facilitate peace building and conflict resolution in violence and conflict prone regions (especially in Niger Delta Region).
- To facilitate networking, mentoring and institutional capacity building for grassroots NGOs, CBOs and FBOs.
- To facilitate Public and Private Partnership (PPP) and advocacy programmes towards tackling developmental challenges, project monitoring and impact assessment at the grassroots.
GRACODEV employs the services of competent and experienced technical persons in areas that concern our mandate. We have the number and quality of personnel that will make project implementation a success. In addition to our regular staff, GRACODEV has a pool of over 30 part-time resource persons/consultants plus a minimum of 80 volunteers (making a total of about 110 members) that are at our service at any point in time.
We believe in the importance and dynamism of capacity building as the soul of growth in any genuine organization. Irrespective of our multi-disciplinary professional backgrounds, we have and continue to expose our full and part-time staff to training opportunities organized and sponsored by international organizations such as the World Bank, Action Aid Int’l, Ford, etc. Some of the training areas include: – project management, financial management, monitoring and evaluation, etc.
Our pool of human resource and physical facilities are always available for the successful implementation of projects.